Nashira Williams
Practicum #1
Lakeview
Hours
1 hr 1/2 Sunday School Grades 1-3
1 hr 1/2 Sunday Service
45 minutes lunch @ the church with members
Class this Week: Approximately 7 beautiful children attended Sunday school, most of them being children of people who involved with ministry in the church.
Lesson: II Timothy 2:24
Theme: Being kind
Its sad that I remember the children's name better than the actual teacher. But in either case I was so please by the teacher because her father just recently passed and she was enthusiastic with the children; it was heart warming. However, I was a little taken back by her style of rewards. Each week the students can gain points by remembering a versse, bring their bible, and doing other things. She keeps a tub of prized in which every Sunday students get rewards according to how many points they recieve. So every Sunday they are gauranteed something before Sunday school even begins. What's sad is that the teacher wanted her students to memorize a verse but she had not remembered it herself. I just think the reward system can be a bit deceptive and over excessive. To go along with that she encourages the students to pay tithes because the money goes to church so that they can pay for things. Yes that is true but students should be told tithing is an act of offering up something to Christ. IF I was a child I would think I'm giving money so that I can have rewards at beginning of Sunday School.
But in either case, I liked her use of media and a good balance of fun and education. She used music but not excessively. She encouraged interaction, group work, and games that seemed to help them grasp the bigger picture. The lesson plan was easy to follow and applicable as a young child of God.
I really enjoyed observing Grace, Rachel, Tanner, Wesley, Owen, Matthew, Sam, Alex, Payton, who were decieving when enterering Sunday School. Two studentd who appeared quiet were Rachel and Alex, yet the still seemed quiet in a sense, they were very voicstrous in other ways. Rachel seems as though she will be a dominant woman but in a settle way. She wont have to say much in order for people to know she is in control. If you dont know, then she will make it known to you. Alex again seems quiet but he can be a bit aggressive I dont know if it contributes to his gender but he talked about missles and guns, which I felt the teacher should have ceased. Instead she just engaged in his conversation about missles and laughed the whole idea off. I also enjoyed watching Matthew who brought his friend Owen. Matthew seens as though he will also be a leader, who will guide people with honesty and a caring heart. Thats exactly what he did with his friend Owen.
In either case I am curious to know if the teacher will stick to a certain pattern of teaching. It seems as though she does because the students don't pay much attention to it. THey listen but they ignore what they want to ignore. But I can tell they know the teacher well.
Questions this week:
Is it truly a reward if it's expected?
How do you give students a good idea of tithing?
How do you keep a disruptive student on task and paying attention?
What should be inappropriate talk in church?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Is it truly a reward if it's expected?
- I do not think there is any problem in using rewards as a means of motivation, especially at a young age. However, I do not think that the reward should be given at the beginning of class. Instead, it should also incorporate behavior in class. This could be helping in answering your third question about distruptive students. Maybe by providing an incentive for good behavior, the students would feel more on task.
Post a Comment