Report by: Rachael Mulder
Subject: Practicum Report #3
Time Spent this Week: 6 Hours (Church Service=2, Sunday School = 2, Nursery for Adult Bible Study= 2)
My Class this Week:
Exit 59 is where I will be doing my regular practicum when I am at school. This week I attended the service at 9, and then helped to lead the Sunday school class for 4 children ages 3-5. The Sunday school program is very small and in its development stages. I and two other girls led the class. We were given no instruction or curriculum so we were pretty much on our own. While this may not be the most beneficial class to learn from an experienced teacher, it does provide an opportunity to develop a Sunday school program.
For class we began with a time to play with toys and play dough. The girls, Zion (age 3) and Claire (age 4) were happy and excited to play with the play dough. The boys Tucker (age 5) and Durane (age 4) were more excited to run around the room, jump off the slide, and pretend they were superheroes. At this point I was worried about how the lesson would go as the kids were off the wall.
We decided to teach on the miracle of Jesus feeding the 5,000. They had some materials there that we could use for the lesson. When it was time for the lesson we had the kids sit down on their own mats. We used a flannel graph board and gave each of the students a piece to go on the flannel graph. Then, we told the story, using words that children at that age can understand. As we read the story, the kids put their piece of the flannel graph up at the right time. Then we asked them some questions, in hopes of helping them to understand such a complex thing as a miracle. Kathleen, who told the Bible story did a good job. She sat on the floor with the kids, showing them that she was on their level. She also did a great job putting the Bible story into words that the kids could understand.
For a craft, we cut baskets, fish, and bread out of construction paper. We had the kids color them and make them their own. As I handed out both the bread and fish I asked how many of each they were supposed to get. I was excited as they all remembered that there were two fish and five loaves of bread. Once the craft was done, I went to each one and asked them what they would tell their parents when they showed them the craft. I did this to reinforce the story in their minds.
We ended with more time to play. The kids were quite rambuncious, and got slightly out of control (they had been there almost two hours!). Then we got out prizes and asked them questions about the story. They got every question right and got to pick their prize.
Overall I feel that the class went well for having no curriculum or preparation. The kids were receptive to the story, and able to repeat the important parts back to us, so that was very encouraging. However, there were times when I could tell that they were bored or didn’t understand. I am excited to be creative and develop a curriculum in order to reach them better!
Questions this week:
- What are some creative ways to teach Bible stories to kids this age? The room is very small, and there are not many materials available.
- There seems to not be much support for the Sunday School program at Exit 59. Is it important to encourage a curriculum? Should we ask the parents what their kids would like to learn, or some goals that they have?
- The service is very long. What are some fun things to do to occupy the time that is not spent teaching? Games? Activities? Etc.
- Also, what is my role in addressing behavioral issues such as pouting, sharing, disrespect for others, etc?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
1 RE: Regarding Question about creative ways to teach Bible stories to kids at this age: I think you all handled it pretty well without have a curriculum. You could try and get some curriculum but that would be expensive; you could possibly search around and see if any other church will donate some old curriculum to you. If that’s not what you want to do, I believe you can pick stories that are suitable for the kids. Change the words (like you all did) so that they can easily understand and take something away from the story. Utilize the space you have – don’t just read the story, act it out (include the kids), use puppets, flannel graphs (like you did), and other activities like that.
2 RE: Regarding Question about asking the parents: I see nothing wrong with asking the parents about what their kids would like to learn or see why kind of goals they have in mind for their children. They obviously have put their kids in Sunday school for a reason, to learn more about God. I believe they would be thrilled if you came to them. There is nothing wrong with including them into the teaching their children are receiving. Also, I think you can take your concern to the pastor. You aren’t asking for curriculum material so it’s not a money issue, you are just asking for support from the church, and hopefully the church staff. They should be able to point you in the right direction and give you some ideas for this class.
3 RE: Regarding Question about taking up time: If it is allowed, why not provide a cheap, healthy snack for the kids. With the holidays coming up you have a lot of reasons to do different crafts for other people (parents, grandparents, siblings, teachers, and friends). I would suggest making fun crafts for Valentines Day and Easter that don’t particularly have to go with the lesson. What about having a short 10 minute video that goes along with the story too? Something that keeps them moving is always great!
4 RE: Regarding Question about addressing behavioral problems: I would say that you have a right to address these issues. Say one of them isn’t sharing, you could give him/her a warning, and the next time have them sit with you, without a toy. Explain to them why they are sitting with you and then let them get back up. If it gets out of hand you can always have them go back and sit with mom and dad, or you can explain the issue to the parents when they come to get their children. The classroom should be a controlled situation. One piece of advice I had when I was working with younger kids at my home church was to set up a list of like 5 rules and go over them with the children. Maybe also have a list of consequences, that way the children know before hand, how they must act.
Post a Comment