TIME SPENT THIS WEEK:
3/13/08 – 2 hours prep work for Children’s Church lesson
3/14/08 – 2 hours prep work for Children’s Church lesson and Sunday school lesson
3/15/08 – 2 hours 10 minutes prep work on Sunday school lesson
3/16/08 – 3 hours and 30 minutes Worship, Sunday school (Time I spent teaching), and meeting with Angel to go over my teaching.
CLASS THIS WEEK:
In Sunday school this week I had three students, Sophie, Chanse, and J’Shauna. I had a lot of fun teaching these kids! They were very interested in the lesson which I told the parable of the Lost Son. My main point of the lesson was to let the three of them know that when things seem to be at the worst situation possible, turn to God for he is waiting with his arms wide open for them. I connected the forgiveness of the father in the parable to the forgiveness of our Heavenly Father. The students really seemed to understand the lesson. I handed out small pieces of yellow ribbon similar to what we place outside our homes reminding the soldiers to come home soon. I encouraged them to either wear it or use it as a bookmark in order to remember that God is waiting for them to “come home soon”. I also played the Chris Daughtry song, “Home”, as in the chorus he sings, “I’m going home to the place where I belong, where your love is always been enough for me.” They really liked the song. As I played the song, I also showed pictures from a dramatization of Jesus trial, crucifixion, death and burial. Chanse, Sophie, and J’Shauna were all very intently focused on these pictures and everything.
After playing the song, we then moved into Angel’s office to play a video off the internet that enforced the idea that Jesus will do anything for us (such as die on the cross to save us from our sins, and be waiting for us to turn back to Him). I was scared to use this video because there are a few scenes where there is a knife, gun, and beer bottle; however it went over very well. It showed Sophie and Chanse that there are some people going through some rough times, and it was also beneficial to J’Shauna as this is the type of world she lives in. It reminded her that God is there for her, even when these situations arrive in her life. It kills me to think that even as a 4th grader she has already been introduced to this dangerous world. I sat there and explained during the time when the movie showed a knife that this was just acting, but something that really goes on. J’Shauna’s reaction to the knife portion and to the moment when the girl held a gun up to her head, she stated statements such as, “No! No! No!” or made a noise that one would make when it hurt. I was very pleased to see that she understood and saw that there was a different way. Most importantly, Chanse, Sophie, and J’Shauna all got to see that Jesus is never going to give up on us. He will always be there and will take the punishment and the beating for us.
All in all, the lesson went over well. I learned that I must be prepared in order to stick to my plans. I also learned that it is okay to take risks (such as show the video) in order to help them better understand the lesson. I believe wholeheartedly that J’Shauna, Sophie, and Chanse walked away this week with a better understanding of our God and a deeper love for Him. I also feel like I have connected with them on a deeper level.
QUESTIONS THIS WEEK:
1. How do you feel about taking risks in the classroom (such as showing this video which showed some tough life situations) to the younger aged children?
2. Is it good to have the students read the Bible story, or the teacher?
3. How can we keep the kids focused on a fun activity? When we played our game at the end, they were not into it that much.
2 comments:
1. How do you feel about taking risks in the classroom (such as showing this video which showed some tough life situations) to the younger aged children?
- i wholeheartedly beleive that taking risks is necessary. if we are not willing to take risks, things will never change. however, those risks must be taken very carefully. first, i would consider the age group. as fourth graders, they were probably able to handle a movie with some tougher scenes in it. however, you must not only consider their age and reaction, but you must also consider the possible reaction of the parents. it is important to think about how they would respond to their child seeing those things, because they will most likely hear about it. so, risks are important to take. just make sure to weigh the benefits and possible consequences, as well as carefully consider the implications of the risk you are taking.
2. Is it good to have the students read the Bible story, or the teacher?
- for the first time i think that the teacher should read the story. you know the points you want to emphasize and make clear to your students. at times, when students read they mess up words or read in such a way that understanding of the text is difficult. so, i beleive that the teacher should read the story first. however, i also think it is very important to involve your students in the reading of the word. this could be done by asking them to look up certain verses from the passage that you would like to focus on during your message :)
3. How can we keep the kids focused on a fun activity? When we played our game at the end, they were not into it that much.
- it suprises me that the kids were not that interested in the game. maybe the game wasnt exciting enough for them, or they were just excited to be getting close to the end of service. maybe you could try putting the game before the lesson (or during the lesson) if it would help to emphasize a specific point. change things up a bit. if you always play the game at the end... try some variety!
Kristi--ONLY THREE SUNDAYS LEFT in this class before the final printed report is due-- only time for three more... you have time yet--don't miss any so you can get the ten though--coach d
Post a Comment