Friday, April 4, 2008

March 29

Time Spent Sunday School 1hr 1/2
church: 1 hr 1/2

This was interesting there were only approximately 5 students who came to Sunday School. The all came in sporadicly that day as well. Some students were gone due to Spring Break.
The lesson this week was about the Lord blessing people and helping them find what was lost that. The teacher told the story of the woman who lost a coin and how with faith she was able to find. She also told the story of the shepherd who lost his sheep and with diligence he found it as well. All this to say that God seeks those who are lost so that they can come to know Christ. And just as the women and the shepherd rejoiced after losing their items so does the Lord rejoice in our choice to be found by Him.
Furthermore, if I could rate this lesson I would say it was very effective and yet one of the most simpliest lessons I've seen. As I looked at the students during the lesson they keep their eyes on the teacher and was intrigued by the story. They also engaged in conversations about the story. They played hangman to help the students remember key words from the story. There were times when I didn't know what the word was. (My attention span is very low). Before the lesson began she had them draw a picture of four people who they thought were important and to tie the lesson in she explained who God is important and how we are important to him.

In addition this week was good because she is giving me more to do. Instead of doing attendance she has meen give the students their worksheet explain what they are suppose to do. In two weeks I'll be able to teach.

Questions:
Why is that students are able to concentrate in a smaller group?
I know the obvious is less distractions but can't a large group be just as effective
I wonder if the concentration was due to the asbsence of more voicestrous students.

1 comment:

kristi said...

RE: Question about why students are able to concentrate in smaller groups: Yes, the obvious answer is there are fewer distractions, less people to look at, therefore fewer things to think about. If those who were missing were the students who speak more, than then student who don’t speak and were in attendance probably felt some relief. They probably felt like they could actually answer a question and possibly answer a question without feeling dumb. I think a large group can be just as effective as a small group. I particularly like smaller groups for Sunday school and the bigger group for like youth group or Kid’s church. However, it doesn’t always work out that way. Maybe you or the teacher can encourage different answers from the students who don’t always talk and maybe even interact with them a bit more to feel comfortable (**I don’t really know the situation and if that is even what is going on, but I feel like if it is, then maybe this would be a way to get more and more students participating**). Good luck with your teaching coming up! Have a good week!