This week 1 1/2 Sunday School
1 1/2 Church
3 hrs Purity Retreat
3 hrs Concert IWU, Taylor, Lakeview choirs
In class:
This week I actually taught the students and I was a bit nervous. I was given the curriculum a week prior to and I studied the material and tried to come up with creative ways to present the information. I felt pretty confident about the lesson because I was familiar with the story. In either case I enjoyed that day, it was the most interaction I had with the kids and they opened up more because I was the teacher. It was a bit overwhelming at first because she had me do everything. The kids all came in at one time and I had to give them points, listen to them recite the prior bible verse, and give them the activity.
Lesson: I taught from Matthew 25, it was the story of the Master and the three servants. The bible verse that went along with the story was from Ephesians which states , "Whatever your hands find you to do, do it with all your might"
The moral of the lesson was to express that God gives us all abilities and we should use them, but also use them glorify God.
Class Schedule: 9
9:20-9:40 The children came in to greet the teacher and they each can receive points for the following: remembering last week’s verse, bringing their bible, bringing offering, being on time, etc. Those points allow them to pick little gifts or candies equivalent to the points they received that day. Then I gave them a worksheet and I gave them an activity. They had to draw a picture of themselves doing something they are really good at.
9:40 -9:50The children all got into a circle to explain and show their picture . Some of them did a very good job and illustrated their talent very well. I tied the drawings in with the lesson by explaining that God gives each every person different abilities.
Afterwards we played a game which I thought was didn’t go as well, but the teacher thought it was good. I had them race to a bucket of pennies, scoop some out and run back to place them in an empty bucket. Once they were done they had to say the first word of the verse and the next person would do the same and just add on the next word.
9:50 -10:10 I told the story of the Master and the three servants in Matthew 25 and asked questions in between to make the story more real to them. To see if they were paying attention I wrote out phrases and sentences but they had to fill in the blanks.
10:10- 10:25 Clean up time
Response:
The kids were so receptive of the lesson and respectful of my authority. The kids engaged in conversation and were not afraid to speak their mind; they shared stories and so on. After they were done with their pictures in the beginning of class, they were eager to show me what they had done. They listened very well to the actual story. I didn’t have to tell anyone to put anything away or pay attention.
Teacher's Comment
Knows names well
Good transition to story
Good tie in after story
Good listener to the children
What I can do better
I could have chose a better game
The teacher said I took too long in the beginning
Questions
How do you deal with a child who tries to take advantage of the teacher because they are new?
How do you allow the teacher to still have authority even though you are still teaching the class?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment