A. TIME SPENT THIS WEEK
1/27/08: 45 minutes: working on posters for puppet ministry
1/27/08: 1 hour: Meeting with Angel
2/2/08: 1 hour: working on points system project
2/3/08: 2 ½ hours: church service and Sunday school
B. CLASS THIS WEEK
This week I was back at Marion First United Methodist. This Sunday I went into the young adult classroom and observed. It was very interesting to me because the way this class was sat up was just like the way the class was sat up at my home church, but a bit more organized. By this I mean they read through a chapter (if they can make it during the hour) and discuss what has been read very hard core. Instead of reading through the chapter as a whole, they break it up by four verses at a time and read, reflect, and discuss. I think this is a great way to help those attending learn. It is not like most other Sunday school classes, because there is no set curriculum where the main teacher is teaching. Mike, the youth pastor, leads the class, but it is very open for others to discuss, ask, and answer different questions. I believe that those attending the class learned a lot more by being able to speak up, and not being afraid of what they may say sounding ridiculous or totally off topic. It was very evident to me that the students in the classroom truly were learning and we able to take away a lot about patience and prayer from discussing chapter 8 in Romans.
Mike leads this class and his wife, Ambry is right by his side. Also attending the class were Jamie, Millie, Bethany, Courtney, Karen, Dave, Ben, Abigail, and another Dave. With it being a young adult class there was college age students in the room along with adults who are in their early thirties. Even though there is a wide age difference in this class, I did not see or feel a sense of intimidation. Everyone spoke up, even those that were attending this class and church for the first time spoke up. Each statement was accepted and discussed. They closed the class by praying and I really just felt like we all walked away from the class a little bit closer to God.
This young adult class has been doing a book study on the book of Romans since October, I do believe, and it is now February and they are only in chapter 8. I think that is ironic, but I believe it is amazing to see how slow they are taking it and how much they are learning and growing. It was very evident in the classroom.
C. QUESTIONS THIS WEEK
1. Is there really any problem with this class being so wide spread in the age group? They seem to be getting along just fine and it is very evident that each person in the class welcomes and cares for everyone else.
2. How do you feel about wives and husbands teaching alongside one another? I really like the idea of it and it was very neat to see, but I am just wondering other people’s opinions.
3. Do you see anything wrong with taking a book study of a certain book of the Bible slowly? They seem to be pulling a lot from it and they really don’t mean for it to take that long.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
that is shuch a great feeling to know the students are actually grasping something. So many times the info just goes past their head and they aren't really recieveing anything. But keep up the great work.
i think that as long as the class dynamics are good, there isnt any problem with a wide spread age group (especially when everyone is adults). this can be used as a great way to glean information and experience from each other! it could also be a great way to get into mentoring relationships. i also think its really cool that you have a husband and wife team. it is important to see a couple who work together and have a good relationship!
Post a Comment