Substitute Practicum: I was unable to do my regular practicum this week (which will be at exit 59) because I committed several weekends this semester to help out at camp geneva. This weekend we had over 250 kids come to have fun and hear more about transforming their lives for God. I believe that I should get some credit for this practicum because I learned a lot about the effectiveness/ineffectiveness of video series for Sunday school classes. I was also able to connect with a camper I have mentored for the past two years. It was awesome to be able to do more than simply talk on the phone with her. We were able to have in depth conversations on big decisions in her life.
From: rachael
Subject: Practicum Report #2
Time Spent This Week: 2 hours (Sunday School=1, Service=1)
Class this Week:
- Time spent in fellowship & prayer: This week I went to Sunday school at my home Church in Holland, Michigan. I have gone to this church my whole life, and I love the ministry that goes on there. There were thirteen college-age students that attended. For the first part of class I was able to connect with friends, and talk about what is currently going on in their lives. One of my friends is getting married soon so we talked about the wedding, and prayed over her concerns. We ended this time with prayer requests and then lifted each other up in prayer. It was so comforting to share the trials of my week with friends that are very dear to me. I know that they will continue to lift up my needs in prayer. It was such a blessing to be in a body of believers where I felt encouraged and supported.
- Message: Right now, we are doing a video series on the Song of Solomon. It has been very interesting to say the least. At first, I was turned off by the series because I am not, and have never been in a relationship. I did not believe that this series would have much to say to me. Boy was I wrong! The session for this week discussed the art of conflict. While it was focused on relationships, its implications reached far beyond. We discussed how all couples fight, but good couples fight for a resolution. Bad couples only fight for victory. We also discussed what to do in conflict. First, do not react because that only alienates the other person. Second, respond to God. Third, let god change them and trust God with that person. This topic of conflict really hit home as I have been dealing with a situation that is full of conflict. Through this message God showed me that I was looking for a victory, not a resolution. He made it evident that I needed to seek reconciliation, and then trust Him to do what is best for me. While most times I tend to shy away from a video series for curriculum, this week was especially powerful.
Questions this Week:
- Do you think that a video series is appropriate for a Sunday school class setting?
- In what ways can you add to a video series to bring in more class involvement?
- How much time is appropriate to spend in fellowship and prayer compared to the time spent in the message?
3 comments:
RESPONSE:
1. and 2. RE: Questions on Videos in Sunday School: Rachael, I too think you should receive credit for doing this substitute practicum. I think that in this type of setting you were still involved and still learning. To give some thought to your questions, I think that videos, even though interesting, should not really be used for a series. The only way I would use it for a series would be by breaking it up. Showing some of the video for a little bit one Sunday and then not showing it again until two weeks later. Do it like an every other Sunday series. On the Sunday’s that you are not showing the video, discuss what was gained by the previous video and so on. I think you could also be creative and think of some ways to have hands on learning taking place. With the discussion on conflict you could have some people act out a conflicting situation (either you found or you created) and then be creative and find ways to work it out. Also help them to find ways to apply what has been learned from lessons.
3. RE: Time Spent in Fellowship and Prayer: To answer your third question, I believe spending as much time in fellowship and prayer as needed is fine. To be honest with you, I like “short and sweet” messages. Ones that only last 20-30 minutes and there is a personality to the message. I love the time during service when we have fellowship and prayer. To hear what people are going through, and the needs of people, and to lift them up in prayer is important. Fellowship and prayer are vital parts to the Body of Christ, I do believe. I also think, that sometimes time spent in this area do drag on. Do your bests to keep them at a good limit of time; however, stress that you would love to hear any other prayer requests after the service. Sometimes, even though all requests are important, I feel like during a worship service the requests can become a little “too” personal (as in I would not mention those things to a lot of people, only a few). My main answer would be to spend as much time as needed in these areas, but make sure that it stays focused.
Rachel--work toward describing THE PEOPLE in the class more...not just your own response... observe who was there--what they are like, how they seem to be learning or not, even describe one or two people through the entire class... the idea is not to talk so much about what you like or don't like or even how you feel--but to learn about learning and teaching... observe the class more impartially and less about your own experience... a good observation here--just refocus...
I think a video series is fine as long as its not something done ofter. If it has great substance and you get quality information out of it, why not use it. If anything I would say it should not extend more than three classes, because you can lose the message if its not coming straight out of the word. Nothing can compare to being in the actual presence of a message. Videos are good and even broadcast sermons, but it does not compare to being there.
If you use videos in the class I would say make it short. It should be no more than 5 mins because I think you can lose ppl and they can be more captured by the video than the message.
As far as prayer I dont think there is a limit on prayer quite frankly. If the Spirit leads it then continue to follow it till the Spirit gives you a peace about continuing on. As far as fellowship , I think that time depends on your group. If you have a group where you know people will be clique-ish make sure the fellowship will get the out of their comfort zone. Use specific activities to help people mingle.
Post a Comment