SUBSTITUTE PRACTICUM: I was unable to attend my practicum site this week because of going home for the weekend. However, I did attend my home church, Hopewell Baptist Church, and I did observe the 18-24 year old Sunday School class. This class is not only for college students, but young couples who are married, those who decided to work and not further their education, and for those who are preparing to go off to college. I believe I should get credit for doing this substitute practicum because I learned a lot about preparation for class, and discussing topics that relate to the students needs and wants by attending this Sunday school class.
A. TIME SPENT THIS WEEK
1/21/08: 2 Hours – working on posterboard for puppet ministry
1/23/08: 1 Hour – working on posterboard for puppet ministry
1/24/08: 30 Minutes – responding to blog
1/27/08: 1 Hour – observing Sunday school class at home church
B. CLASS THIS WEEK
This week I observed in the ages 18-24 Sunday school class. The youth pastor, Mitch, is the teacher for the class and this is his first full time job in the church. This class is a lot of fun to be a part of because it varies between students who have just graduated high school and preparing to go to college, those who opted to work a full time job instead of furthering their education, ones who are full time students, and others who are young married couples. Those who participated in the class this week were Andrea, Matt, Preston, Kari, and Leah. Just with those five that participated we had a student from each category I mentioned above.
The class is currently going through a Bible study of Acts. Mitch reads through the chapter and occasionally stops to make a connection to real life, or to explain it a littler further. It was very evident that Andrea and Matt had read the chapter for Sunday’s lesson. As Mitch connected the story to real life, all of the students were paying attention and understanding the point of the story. The discussion was good and it was very interesting to see the questions that came to mind, and then the topics that came out of the discussion and questions. One of the main discussions was about politics and this year’s presidential election. From the discussion it was very evident that all the students were learning about having patience, and more about the presidential candidates. It was very awesome to see these people discuss world issues along with being Christians.
It was neat to watch a group of students in the same age group as myself interact with one another. Instead of joining in like I normally would, I sat back and did not say much, just observed. It was evident that even though Matt, Andrea, Preston, Kari, and Leah had grown up in this church for most of their life together, they still had a longing to learn. They showed Christ-likeness by supporting one another in the questions and thoughts they brought to the table and they were very loving to one another.
C. QUESTIONS THIS WEEK
1. Is there anything wrong with doing a bible study in a Sunday school setting and then just let there be discussion? It was kind of difficult to completely take in what was read and really get something out of it.
2. How old should the teacher be for this type of Sunday school class? Mitch is 22, and is the youth pastor, so he falls right in line with the class and it isn’t bad, but should there be someone older that has had a few years out of college teaching along with Mitch?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
In response to question number 1, I dont think there is anything wrong with doing a bible study in a sunday school setting. However, I think it would be necessary to provide some type of homework assignment so that students could come prepared. There should also be a specific goal for the course of the Bible student.
In response to question number 2, I would tend to lean towards also having someone who is older and more experienced to co-teach the class. That being said, you work with what resources you have available. If he has a willing heart, and is open to instruction, it could be a good experience for everyone involved. Still, it seems to be a young age to have the responsability of leading both the youth group and sunday school program.
Post a Comment