From: Nashira Williams
Hours Spent: 1 1/2 hr Sunday School
1 1/2 hr church service
This week:
Well another rambunctious student arrived at Sunday School this week giving the school teacher a run for her money. It seems as though the students are getting easily distracted as time progresses. I don't know if its due to the students who don't pay attention having an affect on the others. I see that more students are getting sick, but surprisingly some of them are getting more active and violent at times. They like to pinch and punch one another; very odd, but maybe not really. But they are definitely beginning to show their true colors and coming out of their shell more and more. I don't know if they held back because I was there and they were trying to get use to me.
In either case what was good is that the Mrs. Maddox allowed me to participate in the activities with the students. And when I wasn't apart of the activity they noticed. This week they learned about the blind man who was healed by Jesus' saliva. The scripture had to do with liftng the burden off of others so she used a backpack filled with cans to illustrate her point. She told the students to take a can and they placed it in the backpack and once it was full each student tried to carry the backpack. Of course young boys tried to show off a bit saying they would rather carry this heavy bag than be without it. Then took all the cans out and told them to carry it and compare to see which one was easier. In addition to talk apply the blind man example she had each student take a turn blind folded and try to find out which student they were touching. They had to touch their face, hair, and clothes. One student did very well, while some others just made a mockery of it, guessing before they really actually touched the student. Although I think the lesson was a good idea I don't think they are mature enough to understand this is how a blind man lives everyday. I think they need to understand the privilege of being able to see.
Questions
How does the teacher prepare a student teacher in a classroom so that students began to feel comfortable around him or her?
Is the Sunday school teaching lessons that the students aren't truly prepared for?
How do you really prepare a student for the lesson?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hey Nashira,
I think that building relationships with the students is very important. I think that trying to get to know each student should be a priority with each student. One thing could be a information card that each student fills out and the teacher studies them during the week so that they can have some info memorized on each student. Sounds great!
Joel Stone
Is the Sunday school teaching lessons that the students aren't truly prepared for?
* i think that the lessons she did were amazing! it made me want to do them with my 3-6 years olds. i dont think it is necessary that at that age they completely understand EVERYTHING in the story. a young child isnt going to really understand what it means to be blind, but your teacher did a great job of giving them a glimpse of that. as long as there is a strong connection between the lesson and the illustration part, i think she did a good job.
How does the teacher prepare a student teacher in a classroom so that students began to feel comfortable around him or her? I think the only thing that can do this is time and being intentional with people. When teachers, practicum students, or whom ever are truly intentional with teens they respect it so much more and there is so much more to be gained from it. The end result is true effective ministry but if we are not intentional about it than it will go nowhere fast.
How do you really prepare a student for the lesson? I like the idea of doing homework assignments, but not every teacher has the time to do that. Teachers do not always like homework assignments either. I think they work well and that they are more affective in the long run. They help the students remember the material being taught.
How does the Sunday school teacher do lessons that the students aren't truly prepared for? I think they just go on and teach them. When asking questions wait until they answer. There is no harm in wait on them to come around to it. I would much rather see the students participate than worry about whether or not they are ready.
ONLY THREE SUNDAYS LEFT in this class before the final printed report is due-- only time for three more... don't skip any of the three to pass the practicum--coach d
Post a Comment