Sunday, February 17, 2008

rachael's practicum report #5

From: Rachael mulder
Subject: Practicum Report #5
Time Spent This Week: 4 ¾ hours (2 ¼ hours = service, 2 ½ hours = Sunday School prep and class)
Class this Week:
I did my practicum this week at Exit 59, which is my official practicum location. The first time I did it at Exit, there was no structure and curriculum. So, this week I spent time before Sunday preparing a lesson and craft for the kids. Because of a shortage of helpers in nursery, I ended up being in charge of Sunday School all by myself. I had 4 kids: Tucker, Zion, Durane, and Claire. They ranged in age from 3-6. It was pretty crazy this week. We started out with play time, which included playdough and the slide. This kept the kids occupied while I prepared for the lesson. The lesson this week was the fall of Adam and Eve. So, I made a “tree” out of construction paper on the wall and put some “fruit” on the tree. This immediately caught their interest. When I gave the lesson, I first told them the story using the tree as a prop. Then, I asked them if they would like to act it out! They were way excited! So, we made paper chain snakes and I had them act out the story. They did a pretty good job, and I was surprised at how much they enjoyed acting it out. They even wanted to change roles and act it out again! So, the lesson and craft went really well. Tucker and Claire were really attentive during the story, and were excited to answer questions. It was encouraging to see them not only enjoy the Bible story, but be able to reproduce it.
However, there is one child who deliberately disobeys everything I say. If I say we are going to do craft he says “no” and whines. If I say that we are going to sit and listen to the Bible story, he sulks and cries. He is a great distraction to the other kids, especially his sister. I attempted to tell him that is was wrong to disobey, and that it made me and God sad. However, it didn’t seem to make any difference. I also tried to have him sit in “time out” for a while, which didn’t work well either. Basically, he is very disobedient and disruptive. I am curious as if to this is a problem at home, or if sulking at home allows him to get his own way. This was also a problem the first week I worked with these kids, but there were three of us to help out. I don’t know where to draw the line, and what my responsibility is in discipline. There is nothing established, and this issue takes away much of my joy in being with these kids.

Questions this Week:
#1: Is it appropriate for me to be alone with 4 children? I feel like that is asking for a serious problem, and I don’t want to put my future at risk.
#2:How do you approach the issue of discipline with children? The parents ask how they do, but I don’t feel as if I have the authority to say that their child is causing some serious problems? How can you confront this issue with the parents, making sure to be sensitive?
#3: The age group is so vast. I am finding it hard to incorporate a story, crafts, and activities that include everyone. Should I focus more on the older kids? Or do I move down to the younger one?
#4: How do you approach the leadership of the church when you see things that are seriously wrong with the system and structure?

#5: Should kids that are sick be allowed in Sunday School? Two kids were sick this week and it seems disprespectful to put someone in charge of your sick children, creating the possibility for them to get sick.

2 comments:

kristi said...

RE: regarding question 1 about being along with 4 children: At this age group I think two people are needed, especially because you have 3 to 6 year olds in the classroom. From my own experience of working with this age group, it seems like you need one person that helps the older ones and one that helps the younger ones, or even someone to sit with the children and help them stay focused while the lesson is being taught. I agree that this could put you in a difficult situation and I see no harm in stating your view. Even in asking if there can be 1 other person in the room with you at all times.
RE: regarding question 2 about disciplining the children: I think that you did what is expected of you to do in the classroom regarding discipline. By sitting the child in timeout and explaining that their behavior makes you and God sad was a good way to handle the issue. I know its hard to be honest with the parents but I think when they ask you how their child did you could bring the issue up by saying, “You know, _________ is crying and whining a lot when we do our lessons and even when we do our crafts. When he/she cries and whines at home how do you handle this? What are some ways to get them interested and excited?” You don’t have to say that exactly but just bring it up in a nice and caring way, don’t let the parents think this is making you mad, just concerned.
RE: regarding question 3 about incorporating different parts of the lesson: I think the best thing to do is find the best way to tell the story. I liked how you told the story and then had the children act it out. I’m sure they all understood the story and the point of the lesson by doing that. If that is the way they learn best that is great! Regarding the crafts and activities, split them up. Do a craft that is age appropriate for the 3 year old and an activity that is age appropriate for the 6 year old. As I witnessed this previous week the older kids do well going to the younger age (especially for the craft portion). Or, for the crafts have some for the younger child and something similar but more age appropriate for the older child.
RE: regarding question 4 about approaching the leadership of the church: I first would definitely pray about approaching them. Pray that God will grant you the right words to say if this is really what he wants you to do. I would just simply talk to the pastor or even to your supervisor about this situation and just give your thoughts – obviously they have been involved in church work longer than you or I have been. Possibly go to Coach about this before hand.
RE: regarding question 5 about sick kids: Right now as I sit in my room missing classes today because of sickness my obvious answer is no they shouldn’t. The last thing we want is to spread germs/sickness to other kids (with the types of disease that people have some immune systems just can’t handle sicknesses but that doesn’t mean they should be banned from public places in order not to get sick – some people are private about this type of issue). If they were extremely sick I think their parents would have kept them home, but if they are the type to never miss a Sunday, then they may not have. Some steps to take would be to clean the toys and the room with disinfectant stuff after your class real quickly. I know this is a pain and if they kids are sick they really shouldn’t be there, but in order to save the rest of the kids and yourself from these germs I’d encourage you do get some disinfectant wipes and do that real fast after the class. Also encourage covering the mouth and nose when they cough and sneeze, washing hands and using Kleenexes.

Nashira said...

Wow you asked really good questions. I think four children isn't too risky but then again you never know. But again you always want to be on the safe side so I think it would be good to always have an extra person in the room no matter how many children you have in a room. It holds you as well as the kids accountable.

2. I know its hard to discipline kids especially when you don't know them well and you don't want to step on your teacher's toes. But if you dont feel comfortable addressing the issue bring it up to your teacher