Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Week 6

Substitute Practicum: This week during Spring Break I went to Zion Church in Palm Bay, Florida. This is the church I may be doing a summer internship at this summer. At Zion, there are two morning worship services. I first attending the early service and then during the second service I observed the teaching going on in the children’s church. Zion does not have any “Sunday school” classes, because they have life groups that meet weekly. For the kids though, during both services they have a nursery class, a preschool and Kindergarten class, and the children’s church which is for grades 1st-5th. There children’s church is structured as a classroom setting and is very similar to Sunday school. I believe I should get credit for this substitute practicum because Zion has a structure that is similar to Sunday school, yet they do not exactly have a “Sunday school” program. I learned a lot from this observation and believe that I should get credit for it and also be counted as a Sunday school observation.

TIME SPENT THIS WEEK:

3/9/08: 4 hours – worship service and observing the children’s church. I also helped my aunt with her welcome ministry duties before and after church.

CLASS THIS WEEK:

I had a great experience observing the children’s church at Zion this week. Darren, one of the teachers whose turn it was to teach this week did and extraordinary job. He is a coach and high school teacher so he is very good at keeping the children’s attention and making them follow the rules. I learned that as a teacher, I must be firm but loving with those I teach.

For the majority of the time Darren was teaching a lesson that he had came up with all on his own. He began the class with a short video clip, spoke, did communion, and then ended class with another short video clip and then let the children play before releasing them. I never saw or heard someone do so well with the children. There was a big group of about 25 kids and they were all very well behaved. I observed how he handled children who extra grace was required for. I also saw how he handled a problem between the boys and the girls by sitting them on separate places of the room before class even began. These techniques are definitely ones I will take with me as I further my ministry.

One of my favorite parts to the class was when Darren and his dad did communion with the children. Each child walked up, dipped their bread in the juice, and the two of them laid hands on the child and prayed a blessing over them. Each child walked by with a smile on their face and I could tell they all felt special. I had never seen this before with children and it was so fascinating to observe. I hope to include that in my own ministry.

Not only did I learn how to handle extra grace required people, and how to deal with situations before they get out of hand, but I also learned how the Sunday school program can be incorporated in different ways in different churches. By observing how this class was handled, I believe I am walking away this week with techniques that I can and will use in the future.

QUESTIONS THIS WEEK:

1. How do you feel about putting children in children’s church and the other classrooms during the worship service without even letting them be a part of the Adult worship service?

2. How do you feel about this type of program replacing Sunday school?

3. How often should communion and other sacraments take place with children?

2 comments:

rachael said...

1. How do you feel about putting children in children’s church and the other classrooms during the worship service without even letting them be a part of the Adult worship service?
- this is what my church does for the kids. they go to sunday school and the morning and then head to children's church. personally, i think that this is a great program for the kids. most of them are too young to really understand what is going on in the adult worship service. it is not geared towards them. however, children's church allows them to tie in and solidify sunday school as well as provide them a program geared towards their age group.

3. How often should communion and other sacraments take place with children?
- the fact that they did communion with the kids worries me just a little bit. communion is a pretty serious thing, and is supposed to only be taken by those who have committed themselves to Christ. however, most kids will do what all the other kids are doing, which could lead them to take communion even when they are not ready. i think that communion is something that should be guided by the parents, as they are more able to accurately asses the readiness of the child.

Nashira said...

I think it can work as long as the children are exposed to the same things. I think whoever is in charge has to make Children's Church, "children's church". Sometimes there is a tendency to make children's church a baby sitting service. Church is a worship service in which the kids should receive a sermon, experience praise and worship, and be exposed to the scriptures, and prayer as well.
Sometimes in adult services youth cannot relate to the message because it is not relevant to them per-se. But in this environment the sermons can be more applicable to the youth. It will also help bring community to the youth even though they will miss out on the community of the adults. It is also helpful so that the parents won't be disturbed by the kids.
Im not sure that it should replace Sunday School because Sunday school is more about teaching in a more intimate environment.
Communion should be offered to the body of believers whoever I believe children have to be strategical taught the significance of communion.