Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Week 8

TIME SPENT THIS WEEK:

3/30/08: 3 hours for Sunday school and worship

CLASS THIS WEEK:

This week, I actually taught Sunday school for the 3rd through 6th graders. I had a really good learning experience this week. I did not have much time to prepare the lesson since Angel asked me later in the week, and then I was out of town on Saturday, but I had in mind what I wanted to do. I took about an hour of preparation time on Saturday, but I used the idea we had made up for our chapter on the Temptations of Jesus. The lesson went well, and even though it was a bit difficult to help them understand, I believe they walked away with a better knowledge of how to say no to a temptation, and when we give in and say yes, to ask God for forgiveness. I believe it went over well, because Sophie was able to really discuss with me different scenarios she had in mind about temptations. Sarah was pretty good about it, but I don’t think I really captured her attention. I learned that I need to have a lesson that is for all the age groups, and not just the older/more mature students.

The observation I did was in Kid’s World on Sunday evening. I went with George, another leader, and watched as he taught the 1st and 2nd grade class. In his class, there were 3 girls, a set of twins, Bibi and Lili, and another girl, Zoe. All three did well with the lesson on respect. Even though the video George had them watch was quite old, they still understood what was being taught. George did a very good job with the girls, by stopping the video at different points to interact with them by explaining some parts and also by asking for feedback. One of the twins always had an answer for one of George’s questions. Whenever she finished saying her answer she would look right back at her sister. Every time she did this, I was thinking, “Did I do this as a twin with my sister?” I think there were times when I did, but not every time. I wonder why she does that. My guess is because she is looking for affirmation. Zoe answered one question and caught me off guard by how well she answered the question. I wanted to lean forward and hug her because I did not think that a girl her age could come up with such a mature answer. I learned that a lot can happen if instead of just watching a video, the teacher takes time to stop the video and interact with the students.

QUESTIONS THIS WEEK:

  1. Why do you think that one of the twins would look to the other twin after she answered each question? Is this something all siblings do, or just something twins may do?
  2. How do you adequately prepare for a Sunday school lesson?
  3. At the church I work with there is no curriculum. I like creating lessons myself, but I think curriculum would be a good idea to have on hand. The problem is there SS is small right now and they don’t want to spend a lot of money on curriculum for five students. What would be a way to get curriculum that has good quality, but cheaper?
  4. How do we as teachers encourage other teachers who have no kids showing up?

2 comments:

The Transformers said...

Hey, Kristi!
They all sound so cute!!!
Wow, in regards to the twins, I don't know! I bet that it was a search for affirmation. I know I always took to my brother (who is a couple years younger but a lot smarter than I) to see if he approved of my answer if he is around and I look at my boyfriend, too. Even if the teacher says, "Good job," I think we need to know that the people who really love us and are attached to us approve. I think you are right.
As far as curriculum goes, it's true--it is expensive! Is there someone in the church--a retired schoolteacher perhaps--who would just love to write up lessons for different age levels? If there is someone like that, it could be a great way to put his/her skills to use. It is a lot to ask for each teacher to come up with his/her own lesson every week, it's true.
I am not sure how to encourage teachers who consistently don't have students show up. My gut reaction is if there aren't students, don't have a class! When people start showing up and are able to make it/care enough, start it back up again! That may be the wrong attitude, though. Besides verbally affirming them in their commitment through dry spells, I am not sure if there is really any other way that's not just bribery for sticking around.
Congrats on teaching! I hope it was a blast!
=)Leah

rachael said...

**Why do you think that one of the twins would look to the other twin after she answered each question? Is this something all siblings do, or just something twins may do?
- I would agree with you, that she is probably looking for affirmation. i would have to admit that at times i find myself guilty of doing the same thing. i do not have a close sibling. However in friendships i have invested greatly in, i find myself looking to them at times for affirmation. i wouldnt think that for these girls it is something to be concerned about.

**How do you adequately prepare for a Sunday school lesson?
- when preparing my lesson this week i thought about several things. first, i thought about the age group. i attempted to put myself in their shoes and emphasize with their thought processes. i chose a lesson based on a topic i thought they could handle. second, i really tried to tie the Bible story into real life for these kids. even though my kids are very young, i want them to begin to understand that they Bible is not just an old story book. Finally, i thought about the room, amount of time, and flow of the schedule. while there are other things that played a part, these three things came to mind first.

**How do we as teachers encourage other teachers who have no kids showing up?
- Encourage them with the positive things they are doing in class (if you are able to observe). most importantly, remind them that they represent the hand of Christ to every kid that shows up, even if it is only one kid! God may have brought them that specific child for a purpose. at first i was dissapointed by only having two kids last week. however, it provided me with a great time of one on one interaction with them. also, it is important to remember that there are a lot of external factors (besides just teaching) that determine whether someone comes to sunday school.